Novak Djokovic admits he broke Isolation of Covid-19 while positive and Australian mistake in travel statement | Tennis news

The world number one said he made a “mistake of judgment” when he left Covid’s isolation in December to interview a French journalist; in a statement on social networks, he also attributed an error in the travel statement to “human error” on behalf of his agent.

Last update: 12/01/22 7:44

Novak Djokovic admits he broke Isolation of Covid-19 while positive and Australian mistake in travel statement |  Tennis news

Use Chrome for a more accessible video player

Novak Djokovic posted on social media to try to answer some questions about his actions over the past few weeks

Novak Djokovic posted on social media to try to answer some questions about his actions over the past few weeks

Novak Djokovic admitted that he made a “mistake in his judgment” when he took part in an interview and a photo shoot with a French newspaper after he tested positive on Covid-19 last month.

The Serbian world number one also attributed an error in its Australian travel statement to a “human error” member of its support team.

On Wednesday, Djokovic published a comprehensive statement in his instagram account: “I want to respond to the continuing misinformation about my activities and participation in events in December, led to my positive PCR COVID test.

“This is misinformation that needs to be corrected, in particular to allay the wider community’s concerns about my presence in Australia and to address issues that are very hurtful and affect my family.

“I want to emphasize that I have tried very hard to ensure the safety of everyone and my compliance with testing obligations.

“I took part in a basketball game in Belgrade on December 14, after which it was reported that a number of people had tested positive for Covid-19.

“Despite having no symptoms of COVID, I underwent a rapid antigen test on December 16, which was negative, and I also performed an official and approved PCR test on the same day.

Novak Djokovic said the reason for the mistake in his travel statement was his agent's

Novak Djokovic said the reason for the mistake in his travel statement was his agent’s “human mistake.”

“The next day I took part in a tennis race in Belgrade to present the prizes to the children, and before leaving the event I underwent a quick test for an antigen that was negative.

“I was asymptomatic and I felt good, and I did not receive a positive PCR test until after this event.

“The next day, December 18, I was at my tennis center in Belgrade to fulfill my long-standing commitment The team interview and photo shoot. I canceled all other actions except The team Conversation.

“I felt obliged to continue and do it The team interview because I did not want to disappoint the journalist, but I ensured that I distanced myself socially and wore a mask, except when the photo was taken.

“Even though I went home after the interview to isolate myself for the required time, after deliberation it was a mistake of judgment and I admit that I had to reschedule this commitment.”

The world number one is the nine-time champion at the Australian Open and she has won the title in the last three years

The world number one is the nine-time champion at the Australian Open and she has won the title in the last three years

Djokovic’s statement also addressed the issue of his travel statement released earlier this week by the Australian Federal District and the Family Court.

Djokovic said in the form that he had not traveled 14 days before his departure to Australia. But reports said the 34-year-old was in Spain during the two-week period.

“As for the issuance of my travel statement, this was presented on my behalf by my support team – as I told immigration officials on my arrival – and my agent sincerely apologizes for an administrative error in checking the wrong box about my previous trip before arriving in Australia.” Djokovic continued.

“It was a human mistake and certainly not an intentional one. We live in a challenging time of global pandemic, and sometimes these mistakes can happen.”

“Today, my team provided further information to the Australian government to clarify the matter.”

Novak Djokovic – sequence of events

January 4 – Djokovic announces that he will travel to Australia with an ‘exemption permit’.
January 5 – While Djokovic is in the air, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the athlete would be on the “next plane home” if he could not provide “reasonable proof” that his exemption was legitimate.
Acting Sports Minister Jaala Pulford stresses that the local government of Victoria, where the Australian Open is taking place, will not support Djokovic’s visa application.
The world number one arrives at Melbourne Airport around 23:30 local time.
January 6 – Around 3:15 Djokovic’s father announces that his son is being held in solitary confinement at Melbourne Airport.
At 5:00 Goran Ivaniševič publishes on social networks a picture of himself and another member of Djokovic’s team, who is apparently waiting for the world number one. The article is titled “It’s not the most common trip down”.
At around 8:15 local time, it was confirmed that Djokovic’s visa had been refused by the Australian Border Forces.
Djokovic is being moved to a quarantine hotel, while his legal team is appealing against the abolition of visas.
An appeal against his visa waiver is adjourned until Monday (January 10), Australian time.
January 7 – Australian Home Secretary Karen Andrews says Djokovic can “leave at any time” and is not being held.
Djokovic broke the silence on Instagram on Friday and thanked his fans for their “continuous support”.
January 8 – A complaint from Djokovic’s lawyers on Saturday revealed a positive test on Covid-19 in December.
January 9 – Home Secretary Andrews has a motion to postpone the hearing until Wednesday (January 12), which was rejected by Judge Anthony Kelly.
A statement by Australian government lawyers says Djokovic did not receive a guarantee that he would be able to enter the country with his medical exception.
January 10 – Djokovic wins the appeal. Judge Anthony Kelly revoked the visa waiver and ordered the Australian government to pay the court costs and release Djokovic.
Djokovic confirms on social networks that he intends to play at the Australian Open.
January 12 – Djokovic published on Instagram, where he admitted that he had made a “mistake in his judgment” by taking part in an interview and taking photos with a French newspaper after he tested positive on Covid-19 last month.

admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *