Barcelona can now officially register Ferran Torres after tying Samuel Umtiti with a new reduced-salary agreement by 2026.
Barca said it reached an agreement at the end of December to sign Torres City of Manchester City in a € 55 million (£ 46 million / $ 62 million) deal, ending his 16-month stay in the Premier League.
The club subsequently revealed that it would have to cut its wages even more in order to register a 21-year-old player, and Umtiti sacrificed itself by accepting a pay cut to extend its six-year tenure at Camp Nou.
MORE: Major broadcast news today
What did Barcelona confirm?
Barca confirmed the report in an official statement that reads: “FC Barcelona and first team player Samuel Umtiti have reached an agreement to extend the contract with the latter until June 30, 2026. The French defender reduces the salary he was to receive for the remaining year and a half into his contract.
“This contract extension operation does not impose any major financial obligations on FC Barcelona in terms of players. FC Barcelona wants to publicly express its gratitude to Samuel Umiti for his willingness and affection for the club.”
“Through this extension, FC Barcelona will be able to increase its ‘financial fair play’ quota and register Ferran Torres in the Spanish Professional Football League.”
When could Torres debut?
Assuming Torres’s registration runs smoothly, he could be in line for his Barcelona debut in the next 10 days.
The Spanish national team published a positive test for COVID-19 last week and is currently in quarantine, which means that Wednesday’s Supercopa de Espana semi-final match with the main rivals Real Madrid will come too soon.
MORE: Mourinho criticizes the Roma after the fall of Juventus
As Torres is not available in this match, he will probably bow to the Copa del Rey Barcy’s 16th round match against the Athletic Club on January 19 or in La Liga’s match against Alaves on January 23. His first game at home in front of the Nou Camp Fans would probably mean a massive La League tilt against Atlétic Madrid on February 6.
Umtiti Barcy’s career continues
Umtiti originally came to Barca from Lyon in 2016 and has since helped the club win seven home trophies.
MORE: Updated the Man United transfer window
Speculation has raged about the Frenchman’s future in recent months as he has fallen out of favor, leading to links with a number of foreign clubs, including the Premier League Newcastle. Umtiti was said to have turned down a number of offers for new contracts over the past few weeks, and it is not clear what eventually led him to agree to reduced pay terms.
Umtiti has played for Barca in all competitions only once in this term, but the club has shown its faith by handing it a new long-term contract and will now try to push into Xavi’s plans in the second half of 2021-22. the campaign will start in full swing. With Barcelona trying to free up a number of players this winter due to its financial situation, the signing of Umtiti’s new contract is a real sign of intent, even with a reduced salary.