The owner with a broken heart after Harry had to put the Cockapoo to sleep for £ 2,350

The owner of the dog with a broken heart asked to regulate the Scottish animal care industry after her puppy had to fall asleep after visiting the salon, where he was placed in a “drying cage”.

Nine-month-old kakapo Harry suffered a bowel collapse shortly after being placed in a drying cage in an award-winning salon for 30 minutes in May 2021.

He was taken to Vets Now Hospital in Glasgow, but was put to sleep on May 8 due to complications.

His owner, Lisa O’Neill, 37, of Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, who bought Harry for £ 2,350 in October, is now campaigning for a dog groomer.

The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SSPCA) stated that an autopsy revealed that the dog had not died of sunburn or any other problem attributable to the caregivers’ treatment.

However, it has supported calls for greater regulation of the sector.

Harry's nine-month-old cockatoo suffered a bowel collapse shortly after being placed in a drying cage in May 2021

Harry’s nine-month-old cockatoo suffered a bowel collapse shortly after being placed in a drying cage in May 2021

Mrs. O’Neill, who works as a police officer, said Harry was first taken to the salon in February 2021.

When he left in May, he washed Harry and then placed them in a “drying cage” at the hairdressers, whom Mrs. O’Neill refused to name.

He collapsed, and Mrs. O’Neill had to pick him up and take him to her local Ayrshire vet.

The next day he was taken to Vets Now Hospital in Glasgow and was put to sleep on May 8.

Mrs. O’Neill said: “I did some research and the hairdresser I took him to had 30 years of experience won the award, so I had absolutely no remorse to take him there.

“As a novice and ignorant of cage dryers, I did not know how to ask.

“When I got him back, he looked good, he smelled beautiful, he desperately wanted to drink, but after drying I thought it was completely natural.

“So we left and I quite liked them.

“It was the same scenario in May – a girl came and took him out of me.

“About an hour later, they called me to say that Harry had collapsed while drying.

“At the moment, I had no idea about the drying cage.

‘It wasn’t until she told the vet what happened that they came back to me saying’ ‘he had a sunburn and that these drying boxes are deadly traps.’ ‘

“It turned out that it was placed in a heated drying box and the timer was set at 30 minutes.

“As an exciting puppy, he didn’t like it when he was locked up anywhere, so locked up in a drying box he would jump all the time.

The dog was taken to Vets Now Hospital in Glasgow, but was put to sleep 8 due to complications.

The dog was taken to Vets Now Hospital in Glasgow, but was put to sleep 8 due to complications.

The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SSPCA) said the autopsy found that the dog did not die of sunburn, but supported calls for greater regulation of the industry.

The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SSPCA) said the autopsy found that the dog did not die of sunburn, but supported calls for greater regulation of the industry.

“He was taken to Vets Now in Glasgow to try to treat him, but unfortunately the complication caused by the burn meant that his blood did not clot.

“It was two days after it happened, and we were preparing for surgery to save him, but it didn’t work because his blood didn’t clot.

“I had to go sit with him while they put him to sleep. He suffered terribly before he fell asleep.

“He had intussusception due to the stress and trauma of locking in a box.

“The specialist said that everything he suffered caused intussusception – when the intestines went inside.”

“But his blood didn’t clot, so they couldn’t cut him – he’d just bleed on the table.”

“I can discuss it without breaking down, but it took a while for it to happen.

“The dog is a member of the family.

“He must have suffered terribly, he was locked in a box.

“Harry, if you put him in a box, he would jump around, he wouldn’t want to be locked, so being locked in a heated box for so long would go crazy.”

Mrs. O’Neill she has now launched a petition to persuade the Scottish Government to negotiate the regulation of dog groomers, which has received almost 3,000 signatures.

Mrs. O'Neill said her puppy was placed in a drying cage and the timer was set for 30 minutes.  Pictured: Picture of a drying cage

Mrs. O’Neill said her puppy was placed in a drying cage and the timer was set for 30 minutes. Pictured: Picture of a drying cage

She said: “It’s amazing how many dog ​​owners know nothing about drying boxes, handing over their dog and not knowing if they are closing in on a box or not.

“Scottish ministers have the power to regulate industry, but they haven’t.

“At that time, I contacted the SSPCA and the inspector, who went outside to examine the hairdresser, did not even hear the dryer boxes.

“Because there are no laws on groomers, they don’t have to tell you.

“The box was in working order, apparently one of the best in the industry, cost £ 2,000, was not defective, so the SSPCA could do nothing.”

Scotland’s chief SPCA inspector Laura McIntyre said: “In May 2021, we investigated the heartbreaking death of a dog that fell ill with a caregiver shortly after being in a drying cage.

The dog was taken to a private veterinarian, where his condition unfortunately worsened and he was eventually put to sleep.

“We arranged for an autopsy to be performed by an external organization to fully investigate the circumstances.

“This autopsy found that the dog did not die of sunburn.” A follow-up inspection was also carried out by a Scottish SPCA veterinarian.

“Because the clinical opinion of veterinary experts was that the cause of death was not sunburn or any other problem that could be attributed to groomer treatment, the investigation was closed.”

“Expert opinion from veterinary experts is essential to any investigation carried out by the Scottish SPCA.

“Dogs should be under constant supervision at the nurse’s. For some dogs, this can be a stressful situation and every step should be taken to ensure that they are always safe and comfortable.

“The rapid growth of dog ownership in Scotland has led to a boom in businesses such as hairdressers.

“While many are reliable, well-trained and take care of the welfare of the dogs they groom, the Scottish SPCA supports greater regulation of the industry.

‘Owners should do research, check reviews and always try to use a reputable groom.’

A spokesman for the Scottish Government said: “We are committed to ensuring a high level of animal welfare for pets in Scotland.

“It is a crime for people in charge of animals to cause them unnecessary suffering, and we have recently increased the maximum sentences available to five years in prison and an unlimited fine.

“We have introduced a new licensing framework for certain animal-related activities and we will consult on whether to extend this framework to other activities, including potentially dog ​​grooming businesses.

“We plan to launch consultations in this area after learning about recent license changes over time, so that local authorities’ practical experience with their implementation can be taken into account in future proposals.

“We would call on anyone with information about animal abuse to report this to the Scottish Police, their local authority or the Scottish SPCA.”

admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *